Early Childhood Music Faculty
The Washington Conservatory of Music, one of the 15 nationally accredited (ACCPAS) community music schools in the United States, in Glen Echo Park, MD, is seeking one or more qualified part-time hourly Early Childhood Music class teacher(s), beginning Sept. 2022 for the following:
1. Tuesday Morning Conservatory Kids Level 1 at Glen Echo Park for ages 3 months – 2 years.
15 sessions 10 – 10:45 am; Sept 20 – Jan 3; & Jan 31 – May 9
2. Tuesday Morning Conservatory Kids Level II at Glen Echo Park for ages 2 & 3 years
15 sessions 11 – 11:45 am; Sept 20 – Jan 3; & Jan 31 – May 9.
3. Tapestry Music Project
Teach 5 to 7 weekday 45-minute Early Childhood Music Classes for ages 3 -5 years, for Tapestry Music Project, the WCM outreach program serving children of immigrant and low-income families living in Montgomery Housing Partnership (MHP) communities in Silver Spring, Wheaton and Takoma Park. The classes are supplements to MHP pre-school classes and run October – May.
4. Washington Conservatory classes for Clara Barton Children’s Center
Teach five 25 -30 minute classes on one morning, grouped by age from 2 – 5 years.
• Bachelor’s degree in Music Education, Music Performance, Early Childhood Music or Musical Theatre.
• 3 years minimum early childhood music teaching experience
• Exceptional manner with children from ages 3 mo. to 5 years;
• Natural ability to educate, engage, entertain;
• Can create teaching plan with sequential, attainable, and demonstrable musical learning skills, including songs teaching English for non-English speaking children.
• Excellent musicianship; ability to sing melodies in all styles and meters;
• Strong vocal skills, basic keyboard and/or guitar skills
• Master’s degree or equivalent experience and training
• Familiarity with Solfege, Orff, Kodaly, Dalcroze
Compensation: Hourly – commensurate with experience
Send COVER LETTER, RESUME AND 3 REFERENCES to :
Kathy Judd, Executive and Artistic Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line – ECM faculty application
The successful candidate(s) will be subject to a pre-employment background check
The Washington Conservatory of Music, a nationally accredited (ACCPAS) community music school serving students of all ages and levels of ability in Glen Echo Park, Maryland, invites applications for the position of hourly teacher of piano to join our current outstanding piano faculty.
- Doctorate and/or equivalent professional experience preferred; Masters degree required.
- Significant experience teaching students of all ages and levels of ability.
- Proven success as a teacher (e.g. prizes won by students or student acceptance into advanced programs).
- Significant professional accomplishments as a concert pianist and/or chamber musician.
- Excellent motivational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent pedagogical knowledge.
- Ability to introduce, nurture, and reinforce joy in music-making.
- Ability to assess technical and musical issues and teach to each individual’s needs.
- Minimal teaching availability of 8 hours per week.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
No definite teaching start date, although the expectation is September 2022 or before.
Teaching assignments depend on overall enrollment and normally will grow as enrollment exceeds current faculty availability.
WCM hourly faculty are W2 employees.
The Washington Conservatory embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will create a climate that attracts students of all races, nationalities and genders. We strongly encourage underrepresented minorities to apply.
Interviews include a three-part process:
- An interview with WCM Director and representative of piano faculty;
- Teaching mini-lessons to one or more students;
- Performance of no more than 15 minutes – repertoire of your choice.
Send cover letter including teaching statement and résumé to:
Executive and Artistic Director, Washington Conservatory of Music
Please use the subject line “Piano Faculty Application”.