The Washington Conservatory is pleased to offer the ABRSM syllabus as an optional program of study for private instruction. ABRSM is a UK-based examining body created in partnership with the Royal Schools of Music to promote high standards of musical education and assessment around the world. ABRSM supports music making and learning through renowned graded music exams, assessments, and diplomas. More than 650,000 candidates in 90 countries take ABRSM exams each year. With its worldwide presence, this structured program of study motivates students of all levels and ages with realistic goals and recognition for their achievements.
ABRSM Exam Details
Exams are based on a multi-level syllabus and may include:
- Performance – of pieces selected by the candidate from the graded list
- Scales & arpeggios – based on specific patterns, played from memory
- Sight reading – to show the ability to play a short unaccompanied piece of music not previously seen.
- Aural training – to support the development of the musical ear, fundamental to good musicianship
- Music theory and practical musicianship – required at higher levels of study
Student evaluations are based on defined marking criteria in areas including pitch, time, tone, shape, and performance. Marking forms and awarded certificates are distributed by ABRSM after the exam.